Friday, November 5, 2010

Woman of Folly

What kind of woman am I? Who do I want to be, who should I be? Do I bring honor and glory to my Lord Jesus? I ask myself these questions quite often.

Proverbs 9 talks about the woman of folly. She is foolish, stupid. She is loud, boisterous, making an uproar. She is naive and knows nothing. Silliness, simple are words Strong’s uses. Referring to a person who are not aware of the impact their actions have on others. The impact on others…I stop and consider this for a moment. How many times have I committed some sin thinking it doesn’t hurt anyone other than me? I can apply this to so many areas of my life that are as a general rule considered insignificant? For example: what I say, what I watch on TV, what I read. Everything small or great I put into my mind, the things I ponder on have a profound effect on who I am, what I say and what I do. The things and people I let influence me.

We have all been victims of someone’s sinful choices at one time or another. I think of the hurt and consequences other peoples choices have had on me. Then I look in the mirror and ask what about me and my sin? Am I stupid enough to think that I don’t have any? Am I a woman of folly? As I write this I wonder, what impact am I having on others? Am I showing Jesus? Do I stop and consider the power of my words, the sharpness of my tongue with others? Particularly the children God gave me charge of with who watch me more than I realize.

Proverbs 11:16a speaks of a gracious woman attaining honor… and Prov 31:30 says charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, BUT a woman who fears the LORD she shall be praised. (NASB) There are so many inspiring people in God’s word who have conquered their fears, their circumstances and brought honor and glory to the Lord. Esther, Ruth, Tamar, and Rahab to name a few. My prayer is this day is let me be a woman who overcomes and conquer the circumstances I have either created or been taken captive by to bring honor and praise to Jesus Christ. Let Him be seen in me; let me be genuine and not a woman of folly.

No comments:

Post a Comment