Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Let's Finish This

Beginning well is a momentary thing; finishing well is a lifelong thing.
~  Ravi Zacharias

WOW!  Are we really about to kick off another year?  2011 already!  Resolutions run through my mind, all the things I want to be better at and do differently.  I want to preserver and run this race finishing well!  I am amazed and inspired by an incredible athlete, Justin Frye.  He is a Godly young man (and my nephew) who I am very proud of.  He is attending and running well at Oklahoma Baptist University.  He captured my heart the moment he came into this world and I love him and his sister as I do my own children. I look forward to seeing what these two will do with His Name and the platform they have each been given. 



When I read the quote by Ravi Zacharias, I was reminded that EVERYTHING we do is important.  No matter what others say or think, we each have certain things and do.  From the least to greatest, we each have a purpose that matters.  Why do we all worry so much about what others think about what we do?  These are mere distractions to get us off course.  Our lives here matter and can make a difference in eternity...not just our own.  To pass on a Godly heritage...to make a difference in the lives of another... to successfully pass that baton of faith to others ....is honestly the only thing worth striving for; the one thing that truly matters...one thing that will last an eternity.  Much like an athlete, we need to train daily...work out our spiritual life to grow and make a difference.  We will not make much of a mark sitting around and putting all our energy and efforts going into everything but knowing Him...we need Him working in us and through us.  If everything else is more important, dominates our time and energy, who are we working for?



Recently, I found myself pulling back in my prayer life because I think I cannot handle any more sorrow or pain in my life.  Selfishly, I want to quit because I know I am inadequate and weak.  I am weak, however; He is not.  Sitting in front of my Christmas tree the other night feeling powerless and unable to change the hurts in our lives, I wrestled with some pretty ugly thoughts.  There is a part of me that is angry about the unfairness of life and circumstances.  I realize my hurt is more about me than seeing His sovereignty in my life and just plain trusting Him.  It is time to get up, move forward and put the past behind me, quit striving.  It is time to train for the race and get my head and heart fully in the game.  My unbelief and lack of trust in ALL things, good and bad, that is the weakest area of my Christian life.  It is a struggle at times believing that God will create beauty from ashes and heal the wounds in our lives.  He is God.  He is bigger than the things I worry and wrestle with.  I know at these times I have to keep going, not quit.  

Have you not known?  Have you not heard?  The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.  He does not faint or grow weary; His understanding is unsearchable.  He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might He increases strength.  Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted but they who wait for the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.  Isaiah 40:28-31


Hit the ground running the race and make an eternal difference in the lives of others!  He will strengthen those that seek Him.  He will keep us moving forward.  On our own, we will stumble and fall.  Together, let's run strong and fight against  a lazy spiritual life and unbelief.  Jesus is coming back, each day is one day closer.  Get a few people and hold each other accountable in growing our spiritual  lives and praying for each other. We need to work together, encourage each other, run like relay team and bear His Name well this upcoming New Year!  Let's finish this race well. 

3 comments:

  1. I JUST READ THIS ... REALLY GOOD ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stopping by from blogfrog! Love the post! It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. Good luck with your 2011 resolutions!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great message for the end of the year. I really needed it today. Thanks for sharing--I'm glad you've joined The High Calling and look forward to seeing you around the network!

    ReplyDelete