Saturday, April 9, 2011

Character

I love quotes.  I love to be inspired by others and their walk with the Lord.  I read a great quote this morning by Robert Morris, senior pastor at Gateway Church in Southlake Texas.  He tweeted @PsRobertMorris (I love Twitter), 
“Character isn’t only about making right choices; it’s about making right choices when someone else makes wrong choices.”


It got me thinking a conversation with one of my friends.  She told me once that if her husband ever cheated on her, she would go off and retaliate, get even and so forth.  I laughed at her, out loud.  I argued.  One thing I can say about this particular friend, she loves Jesus.  She loves Him and His Word.  Adultery is a wicked and painful thing and the destruction is far reaching.  The pain of a spouses betrayal is devastating and life altering.  While some try and fill that pain and void with new relationships, drugs, alcohol, one night stands or whatever is quick and numbing, I know she would not.  She might become Madea for a while; cut her sofa into pieces and break every dish in the house...you get the picture.. but I have seen her character, her heart.  She would not dishonor the Lord and His temple (her body).  I know because her love for the Lord has inspired me to be faithful when I didn’t want to be.  It’s harder to do what’s right, especially in hard times.  It’s easier to give into hurt and anger instead of waiting for the Lord to heal and strengthen us.  



I picture each of the women in my life who love the Lord.  God has surrounded me with some incredible friends.  All different, all have different strengths and weaknesses, different wounds.  Together, we are a cord that cannot be broken.  They have been the hands and feet of Jesus to us over and over again.  ANYWAY, while not one of us is perfect, I can say that I have seen their character and Jesus is evident in their lives. No matter what our hurts and circumstances, He is greater. And as a side note, if you find yourself reading this and thinking that you have already compromised your integrity...His grace is new every morning.  Turn to Him now, let Him heal your hurts, make you new.  We all sin and fall short. Seek first the Lord in all things, surround yourself with people who love the Lord and then He will make a difference through you too in the lives of others.  Your walk with Jesus will impact others without you actually even doing anything but loving Jesus and following Him.  So, as for you, never get tired of doing what is right.  2 Thessalonians 3:13.  It makes a difference, all the time. 

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. God is the Judge, He is the one who evens the score. I also once heard a quote that said, "character is what you do over and over again." I hope that when I'm done with my weary journey, my character will be 'good and faithful!'
    I've got some praise reports to update you! I will find some free time this weekend and send you an email. Hope you're doing well.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete