Tuesday, May 31, 2011

who I want to be

Here is an excerpt from a book I just read by Craig Groeschel called "the Christian atheist"

Many Christian Atheist today commit only halfheartedly to Christ's church - if at all.  He doesn't want us simply to believe in God.  He wants us to give our lives to Him through His church.  In the first church described in Acts 2, "church" wasn't something people added to their lives.  Church was the center of their lives.  Church was not a physical building; it was the community of people who shared a belief and faith in Christ.  Their extreme commitment to Christianity contrast sharply with our attitude today: "They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer" (Acts 2:42).  They didn't go to church; they were the church, devoted to God's Word, God's people, and God's mission. p.222.
Here is another excerpt from an article I read the night I finished this book.  It is titled "That's what Christians do" by Dr. Donald E. Wildmon, founder of AFA.

"In 1973 the Supreme Court said it was OK to kill unborn babies.  Since then we have killed more than the entire population of Canada.  And it continues.  A woman's choice?  Half of those who have died in their mothers' wombs have been women.  They didn't have a choice.  It is called abortion. 
But don't blame me.  I didn't do anything.  I go to church, the minister preaches, I go home.  That is what Christians do now."


My first response to this article was sickness, shock and then sadness.   I cried and was deeply convicted reading Groeschel's book.  What would happen if we quit "going to church" and started living and being the church?  One person can make a difference. I don't want to be someone who just goes to church, listens to the pastor and/or small group leaders then goes home never letting it change me and others.  I don't want to put down the book I just read and think that there isn't anything that can be done and continue on doing nothing.  I realized that deep down I too am a christian atheist.  This is not who I want to be.  How about you?

1 comment:

  1. This is convicting because this is exactly what my Pastor spoke about on Sunday!

    I really love Pastor Craig. When I started my stand in summer of '09, I turned to Lifechurch.tv and watched a sermon every night. I think by the end of that year I had seen every message in the archive! He's such a good teacher, and I want to read his new book. I think a great way to start 'being' the church and 'being' the Bible is in your home. Right now my daughter is 2 1/2, and she can't read yet, so I am the only Bible she can read so far. I hope I am doing a good job. The other day we were driving on the freeway, and I hear her say from the backseat: "Does...Jesus...want me?" I about burst into tears. "Yes, honey! Jesus wants you! He loves you! He loves you more than Mommy!" Her eyes got big as she realized that's allota love!! But how happy was I that a toddler inquired about a concept so big as that! It must start at home and let God change you inwardly before you can go out with a real and true message.

    Have a good week!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete