Thursday, August 4, 2011

Remember no more...

Facebook has some new features.  Anytime you chat or send a message to someone, your entire history is brought back up into view.  While this maybe great for people who struggle with memory, it can also a bad thing.  Recently, I had a disagreement of sorts with a friend.  I was hurtful, both defensive and offensive because I felt misunderstood, wronged and angry at the same time.  How can we truly forgive if we keep going back to a list of wrongs or things that have hurt us?  The last several weeks I have just scrolled past it, overlooked it.  Today, I ask myself why in the heck I even had them, couldn't I just delete them?  I do not want unforgiveness in my heart towards my friend or even harbor any old hurts, whether real or imagined.  I figured out quickly and easily how to remove them from my system.  A box popped up warning me that I was about to permanently delete them.  Woohoo!  I don't want to remember them, nurse them or go back over them. I didn't give myself the time to think twice but knew that this was something I needed to do, period.



It got me thinking.  How many "lists" of wrongs to I keep filed away in my head?  How many hurts do I nurse every day or dwell on when I should lay them down yet I hang on to the deep hurts that are out of my control.  I want to forgive as I have been forgiven.  I want to let go and let God sort the rest out.  Relationships are hard.  You cannot go through life without being hurt or hurting others.  But we each have a choice to choose forgiving and seek forgiveness. When those "lists" start replaying in my head, I am going to tell myself to take every thought captive.  I am going to pray for the strength to FORGET, to pray for myself and for that person and situation.  These conflicts can be teachable moments of The Lord's grace and mercy.  They can be used as reminders of the gift of forgiveness we are offered.  

I included a video I found on forgiveness and another with one of my favorite songs.  Hope you enjoy them!

Click Link to view following verses:

1 John 1:9



No comments:

Post a Comment