Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Who needs marriage??

Sometimes it takes losing everything before you see the value of God's design.  The culture today sends the message that marriage is obsolete, not needed.  Sometimes I get so discouraged and feel like a day doesn't go by that I don't hear of at least one marriage in crisis, spouses who made a covenant before God looking for any way out. Men and women abandoning their spouse for someone else, an addiction, or just flat giving up. People, our supposed leaders and roll-models like Arnold Schwarzenegger, Cameron Diaz and others act and speak out against the sanctity of marriage.  An article from Family Life says,

"Divorce is rampant.  More than 7.5 million have given up on marriage and are cohabitating.  More and more people are wondering if marriage is really necessary at all." 
The question is also raised asking who will take a stand and speak out on marriage and family?  As a divorced woman who walked that hard road, who am I to say marriage has value?  I am one who lost much but because of that loss I see and know full well the value and the sacredness of marriage, more than ever before.  I see the hurts of the children, I see the generational heritage of divorce and brokenness passing from one generation into future generations.  But I am divorced...so in my mind, I often wonder if my opinion has any real value.  What difference can someone like me make?  I think of the woman at the well who had five husbands and was living with one who wasn't her own.  What difference did she make?  John 4 talks about the impact she had.

Sometimes it takes us being broken to our very core to make us stand up and fight.  To have us pray the verses found in Malachi asking the Lord to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the hearts of the children to their fathers.  To pray for the Church to fight and equip His people to be different, to do EVERYTHING possible to preserve their marriages and family.  To turn their hearts, both mothers and fathers, to the Lord and ask for His intervention in our families.  For revival to start at home.  


Truthfulness is becoming situational.  A covenant is reduced to a piece of paper with "loop-holes" and marriage isn't for better or worse but until I get sick and tired of the bad stuff.  We need to see courageous people who stand for Truth, Marriage and Family.  We need men and women of integrity and honor to stand up and fight for what is right.  People like me who have sinned greatly in their lives to stand up and say, God's design is sacred, His Word is TRUE.  Value it, fight for it, die for it.  Pray for marriages, pray for your family.  Pray for your friend's marriages and pray for the children who are caught in the war of divorce and brokenness.  Pray against divorce.  Stand for marriage and family.  Come alongside someone who is considering divorce and speak life into them, into their family.  For the sake of our children, for the Glory of God and His design.  Let us be different!!!





2 comments:

  1. Amen, amen! Great word.
    Your opinion is not just of any value but of GREAT value to me. You're an inspiration and your life a great testimony. I admire you greatly and you're such a blessing. Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful post! I'm standing, and I'm fighting sister! I'm also seriously praying for my young daughter's marriage and future spouse now. I know I'm sowing seeds that might not sprout for 20+ years but now more than ever before I really understand the importance of marriage. We must continually be praying for all around us!!!
    Love you,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete