Monday, February 13, 2012

A Letter To Your Spouse

Every marriage will have trouble, if you haven't, you will.  Every person will be tempted, tested and walk through some sort of struggle, some great, some small. Each one brings a test on our character and our relationship with God and others.

In our connection group/Sunday school class, Jenny Thompson (click to here to read her blog) taught on marriage and divorce. There was a lot of digging in God's Word, a lot of opinions and hurts thrown out there.  What I have always loved about the women I know who study God's Word is their commitment to Truth instead of opinions, ideas and commentary.  Jenny shared a quote with us that I think every married person should take to heart and re-write in their own words to their spouse.

I didn't marry you because you were perfect. I didn't even marry you because I loved you. I married you because you gave me a promise. That promise made up for your faults.  And the promise I gave you made up for mine. Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise that made the marriage.  And when our children were growing up, it wasn't a house that protected them; and it wasn't our love that protected them - it was that promise.” ~ Thornton Wilder, The Skin of Our Teeth

Marriage is hard. It is a covenant before God, a union that is to model Christ to others, between one man and one woman. Be a warrior for your spouse, for your marriage and for the gift you have been given in marriage. Be both willing and purposeful in your life to stand firm in your promise.




No comments:

Post a Comment