Monday, November 26, 2012

A look back...


Today is one of those days, sick kids, sick mom... lots of down time. One of the first things I read this morning was a post by a friend that got me thinking about broken things.
An evidence that our will has been broken is that we begin to thank God for that which once seemed so bitter, knowing that His will is good and that, in His time and in His way, He is able to make the most bitter waters sweet. ~ Brian & Christy Graves

Then a second post and text from another good friend about the things we treasure... 

The last several years of the holiday season have been bittersweet but this year is definitely one I am looking forward to. Mostly because I am looking back at where we have been, pausing to really look at all the things combined that have made life so very sweet.
Sweet Gift of Pink Christmas Tree 2009

This Thanksgiving I began a somewhat chronological list of people that I am thankful for and I am still adding to it almost daily. As I do, I pray for that person or family. It's been amazing the people, events and conversations that have come to mind. Some which I haven't thought about years, so many sweet reminders of God's faithfulness to these four girls who once felt we had nothing but broken hearts and shattered dreams.

Looking back at a previous journal entry I find this quote I wrote...
"Just that maybe...maybe you don't want to change the story, because you don't know what a different ending holds.... There is a reason I am not writing the story and God is. He knows how it all works out, where it all leads, what it all means.....I don't.  ...Maybe...I guess...it's accepting there are things we simply don't understand. But He does."  ~ Ann Voskamp
Instead of looking at things with the mindset of "If only..." I can smile and reflect on these past seasons of our lives, genuinely give thanks and say, "But God..." because He is writing our story. I am learning to hold on to what will stand and savor the things that really matter.

To be continued...





No comments:

Post a Comment